Utah’s largest independent distillery, Ogden’s Own, produces an award-winning line of gins, whiskeys, and vodkas. The lines are each uniquely branded, sometimes with tongue-in-cheek references to some aspects of Utah’s history. There’s Five Wives Vodka, for starters—and a companion Five Husbands one, too. Other products highlight lesser-known (and less sarcastic) aspects of the state’s history, like Madam Pattrini Gin and Porter’s Whiskeys.
Visitors to Ogden should check out the distillery’s Side Bar, the on-site craft cocktail destination. The unique menu is divided into four flavor categories (Sweet & Fruity, Sour & Tart, Spicy, and Spirit Forward) that will impress without pretention.
Here are four recent creations straight from the menu:
- “Tag-Along You’re It”
- 1.5 oz Porters Peanut Butter Whiskey
- .5 oz Five Wives Heavenly Vodka
- 1 oz Chocolate Liqueur
- 2 oz Heavy Cream
- Mix first three ingredients in a shaker with ice.
- Pour into a coupe glass filled with some ice cubes
- Float heavy cream
- Add Tagalong (float on top of heavy cream and sitting atop ice cubes)
- “Thin Mint is In”
- 1 oz Five Wives Heavenly Vodka
- 1 oz Peppermint Schnapps
- . 5 oz Chocolate Liqueur
- 1 oz Heavy Cream
- Shake first 3 ingredients in shaker with ice
- Paint inside of Martini glass with chocolate syrup (coat fully or stripes or any design)
- Pour ingredients into Martini glass adding Heavy Cream on top
- Add thin mint (either crumble, or skewer)
- “Chai-Knees Fortune” (Inspired by the classic Bee’s Knees cocktail)
- 1.5 oz Madam Pattirini Gin
- 1.5 oz cold brew Chai Tea
- .5 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 oz honey syrup
- .5 oz ginger syrup
- Add all ingredients into shaker
- Add crushed ice in drinking vessel add all ingredients and two sustainable “hay” or “pasta” straws
- Garnish with fortune cookie on side
The author of 5 books, 3 of which are New York Times bestsellers. I’ve been published in more than 100 newspapers and magazines and am a frequent commentator on NPR.